This portfolio includes:
- Water conservation
- Recycled water (for non-drinking purposes)
- Purified recycled water and/or environmental flow substitution
- 6 megalitres per day
- 20 megalitres per day production capacity.
- The desalination plant operating triggers (on/off) would be set to manage time in restrictions and water security risks.
- The operating triggers can then be increased as demand continues to grow to manage time in restrictions and water security risks.
- Low/medium impacts on natural biodiversity
- High energy use, however, we have included offsets for greenhouse gas emissions for desalination to manage this impact.
- Less treated wastewater released to ocean outfall
- Purified recycled water for drinking is a new technology for the Central Coast, and the community will likely have an interest in the process and its reliability, and safety
- Low cultural and heritage impacts
- There will be some temporary disruption for local residents during construction of pipelines and treatment plants
Reliability and system resilience
- Desalination, environmental flow substitution and purified recycled water:
- do not rely on rainfall which increases the reliability of our supply system
- improves the diversity of our water sources and the resilience of our system
- are adaptable to be upgraded over time and provide flexibility to respond to a long and severe drought if required
- The estimated average incremental cost for this portfolio is $2.30 per kilolitre. This is the total cost of the portfolio on a kilolitre basis across a 40 year period.
- This includes both upfront costs to build and ongoing costs to operate the new assets across the 40 year period.
Drought management plan
- As this portfolio uses the same technology as the emergency drought supply it means we can respond to a long and severe drought simply by bringing forward the construction of the next stage of the desalination plant. This means that the requirements of the drought management plan (if triggered) will be lower if this portfolio is implemented, compared to other portfolios